31 Aug Recipe: Quick & easy banana bread2 minute read
I feel there should always be room in life for a slice of cake! This one is both easy to make and wonderfully versatile. Serve with some fresh berries for a healthy pudding, or spread with nut butter for a filling afternoon snack. It’s high in energy-stabilising protein and healthy fats, so it can even be enjoyed for breakfast.
Makes one medium loaf
3 ripe bananas (the browner the skin, the better)
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g coconut oil, melted
200g ground almonds
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 170˚C. Grease and line a loaf tin (approximately 7 inches x 5 inches) with greaseproof paper.
2. Peel the bananas and mash them together in a bowl. Crack the eggs into a separate mug and beat together. Add them to the mashed banana, along with the vanilla extract, and stir together with a fork.
3. In a separate large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together: ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda and sea salt.
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, and slowly add the mashed banana mixture. Stir to combine.
5. Add the melted coconut oil last, and stir until evenly distributed. (If you’ve melted the coconut oil in the microwave or on the hob, it will likely still be warm. It’s therefore added last to stop it from pre-cooking the egg).
6. Transfer the mixture into the loaf tin, and pop in the oven.
7. After 45 minutes, check the bread by piercing it with a clean knife. It the knife comes out clean, it’s ready. If not, bake for another 15 minutes and then remove from the oven.
8. Leave to cool in the tin for 1 hour before enjoying!
Tip: you can add spices to make this a richer, more aromatic loaf. Try a tsp of any of the following: cinnamon, ginger, allspice, or ½ tsp of nutmeg.