25 Jan Recipe: Sweet potato, carrot & ginger soup1 minute read
This velvety, warming soup makes for a perfect supper. I like to make a large batch and freeze it in portions, so I always have some ready to go. It goes well with a slice of turmeric bread or is delicious with toasted nuts sprinkled on top.
Makes 4 portions
500g sweet potatoes
2tbsp coconut oil
2 white onions
2 garlic cloves
2-inch piece of root ginger
1L vegetable stock
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Peel and chop the carrots and sweet potato. Spread the chunks out on a baking tray, and drizzle with 1tbsp coconut oil (melt the oil first if necessary). Pop in the oven to roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
3. Meanwhile, melt the other 1tbsp coconut oil in a large saucepan. Finely dice the onion and sauté in the oil until soft.
4. Crush and chop the garlic cloves. Peel and dice the ginger root. Add both to the onions and sauté for another 2–3 minutes.
5. Add the vegetable stock and simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat.
6. Remove the vegetables from the oven and leave to cool. When cool enough to touch, add the vegetables to stock mixture.
7. Use a hand blender to process until smooth. If you don’t have a hand blender, you can transfer the vegetables and stock to a normal blender and blitz until smooth.
8. Divide into four portions, and reheat whatever you want to eat now on the stove.
Tip: drizzle with a good glug of extra virgin olive oil.