03 Aug Recipe: Sweet & salty salad1 minute read
This salad is a wonderful combination of flavours: earthy, creamy, sharp, sweet and salty all at the same time. It’s not low in calories, but it is incredibly nutrient-dense—so you don’t need an enormous serving to fill you up!
1 bag (approx. 140g) of mixed salad leaves
4 red onions
1 tsp coconut oil
250g ready-cooked puy lentils
1 pack (approx. 250g) organic bacon
120g goat’s cheese
Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
Apple cider vinegar, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Chop the onions into quarters, drizzle with the coconut oil, and roast for 30–40 minutes.
3. While the onions are roasting, chop the peaches into bite-sized chunks. Slice the goat’s cheese into small pieces.
4. Lay out the bacon on a roasting tray, and pop in the oven for the last 15 minutes of the onion cooking time. If you prefer your bacon extra crispy, you can finish the slices off under the grill.
5. Once the onions are nicely caramelised and the bacon is cooked, take them out of the oven and let them cool slightly. Once the bacon has cooled enough to touch, use a kitchen knife to chop each slice into pieces.
6. Lay out four plates, and divide the ingredients into four to assemble the salads: salad leaves first, followed by the lentils, then onion, then bacon, then peach chunks, with the goat’s cheese on top.
7. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar to taste.
Tip: peaches lend this salad a summery note, but apples also work well in the cooler months.